Should I stop taking warfarin before dental surgery?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Warfarin prolongs bleeding from a cut or wound, so most dentists ask their patients to stop taking it two or three days before having a tooth pulled. After the extraction, the medication is restarted once the bleeding has stopped. The procedure for more serious types of surgery usually involves stopping warfarin four to five days before the operation. For people with a low risk of stroke, stopping warfarin for a few days is safe.

That is the simplest case. A more complicated regimen is needed for individuals who have already had a stroke or who are at high risk for having one. This often involves a technique known as bridging—a daily injection of a different anticlotting drug, called low molecular weight heparin, during the time warfarin is stopped.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...