What should I know about Ceprotin before taking it?

Before beginning Ceprotin therapy, talk to your doctor about all medications you are taking and any allergies you have experienced in the past. Studies have found that this medication likely will not cause harm to children. Appropriate studies have not been conducted in older adults, but use in this population has not shown any specific problems. Ceprotin is classified as a pregnancy category C medication, which means it has not been studied in pregnant women, but it does appear to cause harm to the fetus in animal studies. It remains unclear if this medication is passed from the mother to the infant in breast milk. Discuss the risks and benefits of taking this medication with you doctor. You may not be able to take this medication if you have kidney disease, a bleeding disorder, or are on a low-sodium diet.

The manufacturing process may leave traces of mouse protein or heparin in Ceprotin. Talk to your doctor if you are allergic to either of these substances and if allergic symptoms arise, discontinue use. There is always a risk of transmission of disease, such as Parovirus B19 or hepatitis, when using a product made from human blood. Parvovirus B19 is particularly difficult to remove from the body and is dangerous for pregnant women. It is characterized by fever, chills, drowsiness, and runny nose and is followed by joint pain and a rash two weeks later. Hepatitis A is another difficult virus to remove from the body and is characterized by poor appetite, fatigue, a low-grade fever, nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting. Other common symptoms include dark urine and a jaundiced (yellow) completion.

Talk to your doctor if you develop symptoms of either hepatitis A or parvovirus B19. Taking Ceprotin along with an anticoagulant medication could result in bleeding episodes. This condition could be further worsened by taking tissue plasminogen activator (tPA). Ceprotin may contain a small amount of heparin, which could lead to thrombocytopenia. Do not exceed 200 mg of sodium a day while taking Ceprotin.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...