What should I ask my pharmacist before taking a novel anticoagulant?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you are going to take a novel anticoagulant, you probably have questions for your pharmacist. If you are currently taking warfarin, make sure you understand when to start taking the novel anticoagulant. Ask your pharmacist how many times a day you should take the novel anticoagulant, as well as whether you should take it with food. Make sure you understand the possible side effects of the new drug. You should also ask about possible symptoms of an allergic reaction. Symptoms of an allergic reaction are not the same as side effects.

You may also want to ask about symptoms that should prompt you to call your doctor. If you are taking other medicines, talk to your pharmacist about possible interactions between the novel anticoagulant and your other medicines. If you have other concerns, be sure to ask your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...