What should I ask my pharmacist before taking a novel anticoagulant?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you are going to take a novel anticoagulant, you probably have questions for your pharmacist. If you are currently taking warfarin, make sure you understand when to start taking the novel anticoagulant. Ask your pharmacist how many times a day you should take the novel anticoagulant, as well as whether you should take it with food. Make sure you understand the possible side effects of the new drug. You should also ask about possible symptoms of an allergic reaction. Symptoms of an allergic reaction are not the same as side effects.

You may also want to ask about symptoms that should prompt you to call your doctor. If you are taking other medicines, talk to your pharmacist about possible interactions between the novel anticoagulant and your other medicines. If you have other concerns, be sure to ask your healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Normal side effects of anticoagulants can include: Bruising Prolonged bleeding from small cuts ...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What are anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants, known by brand names including Coumadin, Jantoven and a new drug called Pradaxa, pro...