What are the risks of taking a novel anticoagulant if I am pregnant?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Novel anticoagulants, or blood thinners, have not yet been studied in pregnant women. Researchers do not know if these drugs pass from the bloodstream, across the placenta, and to the baby, nor do they know what effect this could have on the developing baby. Until more studies are done that are specifically looking at the effect of a novel anticoagulant on pregnant women, you should not take a novel anticoagulant drug if you are pregnant. Other risks include allergic reactions and other side effects.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are some examples of commonly prescribed anticoagulant medicines?
SCAISCAI
Some common anticoagulant medications include:•Warfarin (Coumadin) •Heparin•Lovenox•Bivalrudin
Is warfarin a safe drug for pregnancy?
No - warfarin crosses the placenta barrier and has an anticoagulant effect in the developing fetus. ...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...