Are there any risks in taking heparin?

Heparin is an anticoagulant, it reduces blood's ability to clot. Once a person starts to bleed it can be difficult to make it stop. This can be especially dangerous if the bleeding occurs internally, where it might not be noticed right away. The anti-clotting properties of heparin can be enhanced by a variety of different interactions, so even if you have not suffered any injuries, you may still begin to bleed internally. Regular doctor appointments will allow your physician to closely monitor your progress and adjust your dosage accordingly.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What are some examples of commonly prescribed anticoagulant medicines?
SCAISCAI
Some common anticoagulant medications include:•Warfarin (Coumadin) •Heparin•Lovenox•Bivalrudin