What would prevent me from taking a novel anticoagulant for A Fib?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you have atrial fibrillation (also called A Fib), a common heart rhythm condition, you shouldn't take a novel anticoagulant if you have certain health conditions. For instance, if you have severe kidney or liver disease or an increased risk of bleeding, a novel anticoagulant may not be the right drug for you. If you are taking a medication that can interact with a novel anticoagulant, your doctor may not prescribe this drug for you. You should not take a novel anticoagulant if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. Also, you should avoid a novel anticoagulant if you are breastfeeding. Talk to your doctor about your medical history to see if a novel anticoagulant is right for you.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...