What would prevent me from taking a novel anticoagulant for A Fib?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
If you have atrial fibrillation (also called A Fib), a common heart rhythm condition, you shouldn't take a novel anticoagulant if you have certain health conditions. For instance, if you have severe kidney or liver disease or an increased risk of bleeding, a novel anticoagulant may not be the right drug for you. If you are taking a medication that can interact with a novel anticoagulant, your doctor may not prescribe this drug for you. You should not take a novel anticoagulant if you are pregnant or planning to get pregnant. Also, you should avoid a novel anticoagulant if you are breastfeeding. Talk to your doctor about your medical history to see if a novel anticoagulant is right for you.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
If you... Have a prosthetic heart valve - Apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options. If yo...
What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...