Can medications interfere with the metabolism of warfarin for A fib?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Medications, even over-the-counter remedies, can interfere with metabolism of warfarin, a blood thinner, for atrial fibrillation. Specifically, antibiotics will interfere with the metabolism of warfarin, causing the blood thinner to be less effective. If you are taking antibiotics, you may need to adjust the warfarin dosage. Talk to your doctor before taking any medication and tell the doctor about any medications you are taking.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

what does it mean if my mother pt/inr test result is too high ?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
what should i tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections ?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
what does it mean if my child pt/inr test result is too high ?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
is warfarin a safe drug for pregnancy ?
No - warfarin crosses the placenta barrier and has an anticoagulant effect in the developing fetus. ...