What should I know about Hep-Lock U/P before using it?

Before using Hep-Lock U/P you should know some safety information about heparin, the active ingredient. Heparin is an anticoagulant; it helps prevent blood clots from forming. Hep-Lock U/P is used only for preventing clots from forming in intravenous (IV) lines, not for regular anticoagulant therapy. A small amount of the heparin solution is injected into the IV catheter to just fill the volume of the catheter. The amount of drug contained in the amount injected is so small that few side effects are expected.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...