What should I know about Hep-Lock U/P before using it?

Before using Hep-Lock U/P you should know some safety information about heparin, the active ingredient. Heparin is an anticoagulant; it helps prevent blood clots from forming. Hep-Lock U/P is used only for preventing clots from forming in intravenous (IV) lines, not for regular anticoagulant therapy. A small amount of the heparin solution is injected into the IV catheter to just fill the volume of the catheter. The amount of drug contained in the amount injected is so small that few side effects are expected.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
If you... Have a prosthetic heart valve - Apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options. If yo...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...