Is it safe for older people like my grandmother to take warfarin?

Warfarin is safe for people who are 60 or older to take, but a lower dose of the medicine is usually needed. Severe bleeding is more likely during warfarin treatment for people over 65 years of age, so monitoring the dose is very important. Talk with your grandmother's doctor about the risks of her taking this medication.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Who should take an anticoagulant?
Warfarin, an anticoagulant, is recommended for people with heart failure, history of a stroke or a T...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When you are taking anticoagulants, you need to be careful about foods and other medications that ma...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...