Is it safe for older people like my grandmother to take warfarin?

Warfarin is safe for people who are 60 or older to take, but a lower dose of the medicine is usually needed. Severe bleeding is more likely during warfarin treatment for people over 65 years of age, so monitoring the dose is very important. Talk with your grandmother's doctor about the risks of her taking this medication.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants increase the risk of serious, even fatal, bleeding. Other side effects of warfarin an...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...