Is it safe for me to breastfeed while taking warfarin?

According to the manufacturer, the decision to breastfeed while taking warfarin should be made carefully only after consideration of the available alternatives. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers warfarin usually compatible with breastfeeding. Warfarin has not been detected in breast milk in significant amounts. Most experts agree that warfarin therapy poses little risk to the breastfeeding infant. You should talk with your doctor if you are breastfeeding before you start taking warfarin. If you and your doctor decide that you can breastfeed while taking warfarin, your baby's doctor may check their blood to see if the medicine is affecting his or her clotting, too.

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

Warfarin, according to the  Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation book by Briggs, Freedman, and Yaffe, is safe and compatible with breastfeeding. Warfarin was not detected in any breastfeeding women in studies that were done and no harmful anticoagulant effects were found in the infant.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
What is an anticoagulant?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An anticoagulant is a medication that helps to prevent clots from forming in your blood. This type...
Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...