Is it safe for me to breastfeed while taking warfarin?

Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

Warfarin, according to the  Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation book by Briggs, Freedman, and Yaffe, is safe and compatible with breastfeeding. Warfarin was not detected in any breastfeeding women in studies that were done and no harmful anticoagulant effects were found in the infant.

According to the manufacturer, the decision to breastfeed while taking warfarin should be made carefully only after consideration of the available alternatives. The American Academy of Pediatrics considers warfarin usually compatible with breastfeeding. Warfarin has not been detected in breast milk in significant amounts. Most experts agree that warfarin therapy poses little risk to the breastfeeding infant. You should talk with your doctor if you are breastfeeding before you start taking warfarin. If you and your doctor decide that you can breastfeed while taking warfarin, your baby's doctor may check their blood to see if the medicine is affecting his or her clotting, too.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...
What are some examples of commonly prescribed anticoagulant medicines?
SCAISCAI
Some common anticoagulant medications include:•Warfarin (Coumadin) •Heparin•Lovenox•Bivalrudin
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...