If I'm taking warfarin, do I have to stop eating salads and spinach?

If you're taking warfarin, you do not have to stop eating salads and leafy green vegetables like spinach. You should eat about the same amount of leafy green vegetables every day. In other words, if you are used to having a salad every day you can continue to have it. If you don't normally eat salad every day, though, you shouldn't suddenly have a big salad one day. Leafy green vegetables contain vitamin K, which affects blood clotting and can change the amount of warfarin you need.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...