If I'm taking warfarin, do I have to stop eating salads and spinach?

If you're taking warfarin, you do not have to stop eating salads and leafy green vegetables like spinach. You should eat about the same amount of leafy green vegetables every day. In other words, if you are used to having a salad every day you can continue to have it. If you don't normally eat salad every day, though, you shouldn't suddenly have a big salad one day. Leafy green vegetables contain vitamin K, which affects blood clotting and can change the amount of warfarin you need.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
What is an anticoagulant?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An anticoagulant is a medication that helps to prevent clots from forming in your blood. This type...