If I'm on warfarin and have a headache, can I take aspirin?

You should not take aspirin or any products that contain aspirin while you are taking warfarin without first talking with your doctor. Also, you should not take other painkillers such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn) without your doctor’s advice while taking warfarin. Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all the medicines (both prescription and over-the-counter), vitamins and nutritional or herbal supplements you are taking.

If you are on warfarin it is better to take Tylenol in order to avoid a higher risk of bleeding. You should not take aspirin or any other NSAIDs without first talking to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are some examples of commonly prescribed anticoagulant medicines?
SCAISCAI
Some common anticoagulant medications include:•Warfarin (Coumadin) •Heparin•Lovenox•Bivalrudin
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...