If my wife is on warfarin, should she avoid eating salads and vegetables?

If your wife is taking warfarin, she does not have to avoid eating salads and vegetables if she regularly eats them. She should eat about the same amount of leafy green vegetables every day. In other words, if she usually has a salad every day, she should continue to have it. However, if she doesn't eat salad every day, she shouldn't decide to have a big salad one day. Leafy green vegetables contain vitamin K, which affects blood clotting and can change the amount of warfarin she needs.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When you are taking anticoagulants, you need to be careful about foods and other medications that ma...
Is warfarin a safe drug for pregnancy?
No - warfarin crosses the placenta barrier and has an anticoagulant effect in the developing fetus. ...