How does Xarelto work to prevent and treat blood clots?

Xarelto (rivaroxaban) works by blocking one of several enzymes -- called factor Xa -- needed to form blood clots. It's used to reduce the risk of stroke in people with atrial fibrillation, a common heart rhythm disorder, and also to reduce the risk of a type of blood clot after knee or hip replacement surgery called a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). If a DVT breaks loose and travels through the bloodstream, it can cause serious and sometimes fatal problems.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Normal side effects of anticoagulants can include: Bruising Prolonged bleeding from small cuts ...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...