How is warfarin used for stroke prevention?

Warfarin is used for long-term anticoagulation therapy in people who have been discharged from the hospital following a stroke and who are at high risk for another stroke. It is especially effective for preventing stroke brought on by atrial fibrillation.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...