How does warfarin interact with vitamin K?

Individuals taking anticoagulant (anticlotting) medications such as warfarin (also known as Coumadin) need to keep a consistent intake of vitamin K. This medication decreases the activity of vitamin K and prolongs the time it takes for blood to clot. If these individuals suddenly increase the vitamin K in their diets, the vitamin can override the effect of the drug, enabling the blood to clot too quickly.

In contrast, a sudden decline in dietary vitamin K can enhance the effectiveness of the drug.

Green leafy vegetables are rich sources of vitamin K.

healthy food, healthy diet, diet, green health, lettuce, vegetables, nutrients, food

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants increase the risk of serious, even fatal, bleeding. Other side effects of warfarin an...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...