How do I properly store and handle heparin?

If you're injecting the blood thinner heparin at home, your doctor will discuss how to properly store and handle this medication, which is an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, used to prevent the formation and growth of blood clots. Here are some important guidelines to follow:
  • Keep heparin tightly closed in its original container.
  • Store it at room temperature, away from excess heat, light and moisture (not in the bathroom).
  • Do not freeze heparin.
  • Keep this drug away from kids and pets.
  • Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about how to dispose of used needles and unwanted or outdated medication.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...
What are anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...
Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...