How does Pradaxa work to prevent strokes and blood clots?

Pradaxa works to prevent blood clots and strokes by inhibiting a substance in the blood called thrombin. Thrombin allows the blood to coagulate (that is, to form blood clots). By inhibiting thrombin, Pradaxa reduces the tendency of blood to form clots.

Pradaxa is prescribed for people with atrial fibrillation, a condition in which a part of the heart does not beat normally, which can lead to blood clots. When a blood clot blocks blood flow to the brain, the result is a stroke. By helping to prevent blood clots, Pradaxa can help prevent strokes in people with atrial fibrillation.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants, known by brand names including Coumadin, Jantoven and a new drug called Pradaxa, pro...