How does Pradaxa work to prevent strokes and blood clots?

Pradaxa works to prevent blood clots and strokes by inhibiting a substance in the blood called thrombin. Thrombin allows the blood to coagulate (that is, to form blood clots). By inhibiting thrombin, Pradaxa reduces the tendency of blood to form clots.

Pradaxa is prescribed for people with atrial fibrillation, a condition in which a part of the heart does not beat normally, which can lead to blood clots. When a blood clot blocks blood flow to the brain, the result is a stroke. By helping to prevent blood clots, Pradaxa can help prevent strokes in people with atrial fibrillation.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
How do blood thinners affect my risk for aneurysms?
David W. Drucker, MDDavid W. Drucker, MD
They really don't. We do aneurysm surgeries on people who are on all different types of blood thinne...