How can I minimize the side effects of Pradaxa?

You can minimize side effects from Pradaxa by working with your doctor to make sure you're not taking any other medication or supplement that can interact with Pradaxa. Pradaxa is a blood-thinning prescription medication that helps prevent blood clots in people with atrial fibrillation, a heart condition.

You can have serious side effects, including bleeding, if you are also taking other medications that have similar blood-thinning effects. These include nonprescription medications like aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and naproxen (Aleve), as well as the prescription drugs warfarin (Coumadin), heparin, prasugrel (Effient), clopidogrel (Plavix) and rifampin (Rifadin, Rimactane).

Another way to minimize side effects is by taking the medication exactly as your doctor prescribes it and never taking more than is prescribed. Also, pay close attention to how your body reacts to Pradaxa. If you are bruising or bleeding more easily, tell your doctor at once.

If you are having a dental procedure or surgery, you should plan ahead. Your doctor may recommend that you stop taking Pradaxa for a day or more before the procedure to reduce the risk of excessive bleeding.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

what does it mean if my mother pt/inr test result is too high ?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
what are anticoagulants ?
SCAISCAI
Anticoagulants are medications that prevent blood from clotting, thereby reducing the chance of a he...
what does it mean if my child pt/inr test result is too low ?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
is warfarin a safe drug for pregnancy ?
No - warfarin crosses the placenta barrier and has an anticoagulant effect in the developing fetus. ...