How does argatroban work?

One step in the process of forming blood clots is that blood cells called platelets come together and get trapped in protein threads. Another protein called thrombin helps make the fibers that trap the platelets. Argatroban is a direct thrombin inhibitor (DTI). It binds to thrombin and prevents it from working. So the protein fibers do not form to trap the platelets, and the blood clot does not form.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...