How does argatroban work?

One step in the process of forming blood clots is that blood cells called platelets come together and get trapped in protein threads. Another protein called thrombin helps make the fibers that trap the platelets. Argatroban is a direct thrombin inhibitor (DTI). It binds to thrombin and prevents it from working. So the protein fibers do not form to trap the platelets, and the blood clot does not form.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

how can anticoagulants affect oral surgery ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
what are side effects of anticoagulants ?
Anticoagulants increase the risk of serious, even fatal, bleeding. Other side effects of warfarin an...
what does it mean if my mother pt/inr test result is too high ?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
what does it mean if my child pt/inr test result is too low ?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...