How do I take antithrombin III?

Antithrombin III is injected directly into a vein through an intravenous line by your healthcare provider. The medicine is mixed with a liquid (diluent) prior to injection. Your provider will infuse the medication slowly over 20 minutes. Most likely, you will receive an initial dose followed by a second dose about 24 hours later. Your provider will take blood samples periodically to measure the amount of antithrombin in your blood. The goal of the second infusion is to keep the antithrombin levels in your blood at about 80% of that of a typical person. Talk to your doctor if you have further questions.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What is an anticoagulant?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An anticoagulant is a medication that helps to prevent clots from forming in your blood. This type...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What drugs may interact with anticoagulants?
The following drugs may interact with anticoagulant drugs, leading to side effects: antiplatelet ...
How are anticoagulants used?
Anticoagulants are medications that inhibit blood clotting. While they cannot dissolve an existing c...