How do I take antithrombin III?

Antithrombin III is injected directly into a vein through an intravenous line by your healthcare provider. The medicine is mixed with a liquid (diluent) prior to injection. Your provider will infuse the medication slowly over 20 minutes. Most likely, you will receive an initial dose followed by a second dose about 24 hours later. Your provider will take blood samples periodically to measure the amount of antithrombin in your blood. The goal of the second infusion is to keep the antithrombin levels in your blood at about 80% of that of a typical person. Talk to your doctor if you have further questions.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you have a prosthetic heart valve, apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options for you. If y...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...