How do I take antithrombin III?

Antithrombin III is injected directly into a vein through an intravenous line by your healthcare provider. The medicine is mixed with a liquid (diluent) prior to injection. Your provider will infuse the medication slowly over 20 minutes. Most likely, you will receive an initial dose followed by a second dose about 24 hours later. Your provider will take blood samples periodically to measure the amount of antithrombin in your blood. The goal of the second infusion is to keep the antithrombin levels in your blood at about 80% of that of a typical person. Talk to your doctor if you have further questions.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...