How do I know my heparin or warfarin therapy is working?

Periodic blood tests are necessary when you take heparin or warfarin to make sure they're working and to prevent complications of antiphospholipid syndrome. A prothrombin time (PT) test is used to calculate your International Normalized Ratio (INR), which shows if your warfarin level is in the therapeutic range. When you take heparin, a partial thromboplastin time (PTT) test can indicate if your dosage is appropriate. Your doctor may want you to have your blood tested every few weeks, but more frequent testing may be necessary early in therapy or when your dosage is changed.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
What are anticoagulants?
Anticoagulants, known by brand names including Coumadin, Jantoven and a new drug called Pradaxa, pro...
Who should take an anticoagulant?
People who should regularly take an anticoagulant, or blood thinner, include those who have had a DV...
What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...