How do I know my heparin or warfarin therapy is working?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Periodic blood tests are necessary when you take heparin or warfarin to make sure they're working and to prevent complications of antiphospholipid syndrome. A prothrombin time (PT) test is used to calculate your International Normalized Ratio (INR), which shows if your warfarin level is in the therapeutic range. When you take heparin, a partial thromboplastin time (PTT) test can indicate if your dosage is appropriate. Your doctor may want you to have your blood tested every few weeks, but more frequent testing may be necessary early in therapy or when your dosage is changed.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What should I tell my doctor before getting anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before you begin anticoagulant injections, tell your doctor if you:       • have bleeding problem...
Who should take an anticoagulant?
Warfarin, an anticoagulant, is recommended for people with heart failure, history of a stroke or a T...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...