How does Fragmin help in recovery after surgery?

Fragmin is an injection given after major surgery to help prevent dangerous blood clots. It is generally given in the phase after surgery when a person is unable to walk, which is when clotting is most likely to occur. Blood clots could lead to serious complications if they travel to the lungs or heart. In people with an unstable angina or a weak heart, Fragmin is often used in combination with aspirin to help thin the blood and prevent clots from forming in blood vessels.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What does it mean if my mother's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your mother's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her dose of warfarin is too high,...
When should I call the doctor while on anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Call the doctor if you notice these symptoms while taking anticoagulant injections:     • excessiv...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
When you are taking anticoagulants, you need to be careful about foods and other medications that ma...