Are there dietary changes I need to make when taking a novel anticoagulant?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Unlike with warfarin, there is no need for dietary monitoring with a novel anticoagulant that is used to treat atrial fibrillation. You can enjoy your normal diet and not worry about the effect of food or beverages on your medication. If you have been taking warfarin, you may have gotten used to monitoring your diet. Your doctor may have told you to avoid drinking cranberry juice or to limit the amount of leafy green vegetables and other foods high in vitamin K. With a novel anticoagulant, you can eat a variety of foods and beverages without worrying about a drug interaction.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Why would I need anticoagulant injections?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
You may be prescribed anticoagulant injections:       • if you are at risk for blood clots because...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
What precautions should I follow when taking blood thinners?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
If you are taking warfarin (Coumadin), you already should be having a test regularly to make sure th...
What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...