Are there dietary changes I need to make when taking a novel anticoagulant?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Unlike with warfarin, there is no need for dietary monitoring with a novel anticoagulant that is used to treat atrial fibrillation. You can enjoy your normal diet and not worry about the effect of food or beverages on your medication. If you have been taking warfarin, you may have gotten used to monitoring your diet. Your doctor may have told you to avoid drinking cranberry juice or to limit the amount of leafy green vegetables and other foods high in vitamin K. With a novel anticoagulant, you can eat a variety of foods and beverages without worrying about a drug interaction.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are side effects of anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Normal side effects of anticoagulants can include: Bruising Prolonged bleeding from small cuts ...
What is an anticoagulant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
An anticoagulant (anti means against, and coagulant refers to blood clotting) or "blood thinner"...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...