Can I take my medicine for depression while taking warfarin?

You should check with your doctor and/or pharmacist before taking your medicine for depression while you're taking warfarin. Some medications for depression can interfere with how your warfarin works. Specifically, a class of medications called selective seratonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI), such as Paxil, Prozac or Zoloft, can increase the effect of warfarin and consequently, increase the risk of bleeding. Tell your doctor before you start any new medications, whether they are prescription or over-the-counter.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What are the guidelines for anticoagulant therapy?
The following is a list of guidelines for anticoagulant therapy: Take the medication exactly as di...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
When you are taking anticoagulants, you need to be careful about foods and other medications that ma...
What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...