Can I keep taking my warfarin if I have surgery?

Talk with your doctor and your surgeon if you're taking warfarin and need to have surgery. Warfarin prevents your blood from clotting, so you may bleed too much during the surgery. Your doctor may have you stop taking warfarin for a while, or he or she may change your dose of warfarin before the surgery.  

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too low?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too low, it means that her dose of warfarin may not be eno...
What is an anticoagulant?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
An anticoagulant is a medication that helps to prevent clots from forming in your blood. This type...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...