Can Fragmin cause bleeding problems?

Fragmin is an anticoagulant, a drug that thins blood. The risk of bleeding with Fragmin may occur if you have an active bleed or a low level of platelets in your blood. Bleeding problems may also occur if you are using other drugs such as aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS). Fragmin may also cause you to bleed more easily if you have: a bleeding disorder, hemorrhagic stroke, an infection in the lining of your heart, uncontrolled high blood pressure, stomach or intestinal bleeding or ulcer, or if you have had recent brain, spine or eye surgery. Tell your doctor immediately if you have these symptoms:
  • Black or bloody stools
  • Coughing up blood
  • Confusion
  • Feeling as if you might pass out
  • Bleeding that won’t stop

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

What is Praxbind?
Praxbind (idarucizumab) is a medication used to reverse the effects of another medication, Pradaxa (...
Is it safe to stop taking blood thinners for afib before hip surgery?
Dr. Rishi G. Anand, MDDr. Rishi G. Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) and are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wi...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What are anticoagulants?
Many people with heart failure are at risk for blood clots in the heart or blood vessels. A blood cl...