Are there any risks in taking Lovenox?

Lovenox can cause some people to bleed more easily. Especially vulnerable are people who have a bleeding disorder, an infection of the lining of the heart, hemorrhagic stroke, intestinal or stomach ulcer or bleeding, and those who have recently undergone spine, brain, or eye surgery. Receiving spinal anesthesia or getting a spinal tap while taking Lovenox can lead to a serious blood clot around the spinal cord or brain. The risk for developing this kind of blood clot while taking Lovenox is higher in people who have frequent spinal taps, a history of surgery on the spine, a genetic defect of the spine, or are taking other medications for the prevention or treatment of blood clots. Make sure to let any doctor who treats you know if you are taking Lovenox.

Continue Learning about Anticoagulant

How can anticoagulants affect oral surgery?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Reduced blood clotting is a side effect of aspirins and anticoagulants, such as heparin or warfa...
Why do I have to stop taking my blood thinners before knee surgery?
Rishi Anand, MDRishi Anand, MD
If you suffer from atrial fibrillation (afib) or are taking blood thinners (anticoagulants), you wil...
What does it mean if my child's PT/INR test result is too high?
If your child's PT/INR test result is too high, it means that her blood is clotting too slowly a...
What are some safety tips when taking anticoagulants?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you have a prosthetic heart valve, apixaban and rivaroxaban may not be good options for you. If y...