How does Zyvox interact with other medications or foods?

If you are taking Zyvox, you should not eat foods or alcoholic beverages containing tyramine. High amounts of tyramine can be found in pickled or smoked meats, soy sauce, draught beer, red wine, and aged cheeses. These foods may raise your blood pressure to harmful levels.

You should also not take Zyvox if you have taken a MAO inhibitor in the last 14 days. Life-threatening symptoms may occur. Other medications that should be avoided include antidepressants such as amitriptyline, citalopram, doxepin, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, imipramine, paroxetine, or sertraline. You can develop symptoms such as poor coordination, memory loss, muscle spasms, fever, chills, anxiety, sweating, poor concentration, and chills if you take Zyvox together with these types of antidepressants. Your doctor may need to alter your dosage of these medications or closely watch for side effects.

I

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...
How were antibiotics discovered?
It is unlikely that anyone alive today can remember what life was like before antibiotics. It was a ...