How does Zyvox interact with other medications or foods?

If you are taking Zyvox, you should not eat foods or alcoholic beverages containing tyramine. High amounts of tyramine can be found in pickled or smoked meats, soy sauce, draught beer, red wine, and aged cheeses. These foods may raise your blood pressure to harmful levels.

You should also not take Zyvox if you have taken a MAO inhibitor in the last 14 days. Life-threatening symptoms may occur. Other medications that should be avoided include antidepressants such as amitriptyline, citalopram, doxepin, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, imipramine, paroxetine, or sertraline. You can develop symptoms such as poor coordination, memory loss, muscle spasms, fever, chills, anxiety, sweating, poor concentration, and chills if you take Zyvox together with these types of antidepressants. Your doctor may need to alter your dosage of these medications or closely watch for side effects.

I

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...
What are common side effects of antibiotics?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
The more common side effects of antibiotics include diarrhea, digestive disturbances, yeast over...