Who should not take sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, phenazopyridine?

Do not take Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim, Phenazopyridine, or Zotrim, if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or expect to become pregnant unless instructed by your doctor. This medication is not approved for use in children. It may increase risk of liver or kidney disease and skin reactions or bone marrow suppression in elderly patients. If you are allergic to any of the medication’s ingredients or have had an allergic reaction to sulfonamide in the past, do not take this medication. Zotrim should not be confused with the weight loss drug Zotrim.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...