Who should not take sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, phenazopyridine?

Do not take Sulfamethoxazole, Trimethoprim, Phenazopyridine, or Zotrim, if you are pregnant, breast feeding, or expect to become pregnant unless instructed by your doctor. This medication is not approved for use in children. It may increase risk of liver or kidney disease and skin reactions or bone marrow suppression in elderly patients. If you are allergic to any of the medication’s ingredients or have had an allergic reaction to sulfonamide in the past, do not take this medication. Zotrim should not be confused with the weight loss drug Zotrim.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

how do antibiotics work ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Antibiotics kill single-cell organisms called bacteria. If bacteria make it past our immune systems ...
what is an antibiotic ?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...
should i give my child antibiotics ?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...
what is an antibiotic ointment ?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...