Who should not take sulfadiazine?

You should not take sulfadiazine if you are pregnant or nursing a child under two months of age. You also should not take sulfadiazine if you have any blood problems resulting from a deficiency of folic acid, kidney disease or bladder blockage. You should also not take sulfadiazine if you are using other sulfonamide medications or if you are allergic to any of the active ingredients in this medicine. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits associated with sulfadiazine, including certain medications and medical conditions that may interfere with your dosage. Medical conditions that may put you at risk for complications include: allergies to the medication, sore throat, stomach or intestinal infection, diarrhea, liver or kidney problems, asthma, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency, diabetes, pregnancy, various blood diseases and problems, porphyria and bladder blockage. Medications that may interfere with your dosage of sulfadiazine include: probenecid, diuretics, sulfonylureas and other diabetes medications, salicylates, blood thinners and indomethacin. 

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
Who should not use an antibiotic ointment?
People with sensitive skin or who are unsure of what the rash is should avoid topical antibiotic...
When should my child take antibiotics?
Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat ba...