Who should not take amikacin?

Do not take amikacin if you are allergic to amikacin itself, or if you're sensitive to sulfites. Do not take it if you're currently taking cidofovir. You should avoid amikacin if you're pregnant, as the medication may damage the fetus. If you currently have kidney or nerve damage, hearing problems, or conditions like Parkinson's disease or myasthenia gravis, or if you're taking medications for any of these conditions, you may still be able to take amikacin but you'll want to thoroughly discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Remember: Antibiotics treat bacterial infections, not viruses. Don't push your pediatrician for an...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Who should not use an antibiotic ointment?
People with sensitive skin or who are unsure of what the rash is should avoid topical antibiotic...