Who should not take amikacin?

Do not take amikacin if you are allergic to amikacin itself, or if you're sensitive to sulfites. Do not take it if you're currently taking cidofovir. You should avoid amikacin if you're pregnant, as the medication may damage the fetus. If you currently have kidney or nerve damage, hearing problems, or conditions like Parkinson's disease or myasthenia gravis, or if you're taking medications for any of these conditions, you may still be able to take amikacin but you'll want to thoroughly discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...
Should I give my child antibiotics for a viral infection?
Antibiotics should not be given for viral infections. Antibiotics are effective against bacteria...