Who should avoid Zotrim (sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, phenazopyridine)

Unless instructed by a doctor, do not take Zotrim (sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim tablets and phenazopyridine tablets) if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or expect to become pregnant. Zotrim may increase risk of liver or kidney disease, skin reactions and bone marrow suppression in elderly patients.

Do not take Zotrim if you are allergic to any of the medication's ingredients or have had an allergic reaction to sulfonamide, trimethoprim or phenazopyridine in the past. Zotrim is not approved for use in children.

Zotrim for urinary tract infections should not be confused with the OTC weight loss product also called Zotrim.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What types of infections can antibiotics treat?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Antibiotics are medicines that only treat bacterial infections. Different medicines kill different t...
What should I know about trovafloxacin and azithromycin before taking them?
It is not known if azithromycin eyedrops are safe or effective for children under 1 year old. If yo...