Who should not take Cleocin I.V.?

If you have colitis, kidney or liver disease you should not receive Cleocin I.V. without alerting your doctor first. Women should avoid this drug during the first trimester of pregnancy, since its safety at this point in pregnancy is unknown. Nursing mothers also need to be aware that this drug passes through breast milk and could harm an infant. Caution should be used when given to the elderly since they may be more sensitive to the side effects, especially diarrhea. Also, it is important to discuss any allergies you may have with your doctor prior to taking this medication.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...