When should I take antibiotics?

You should take antibiotics to treat bacterial infections if your doctor prescribes them. It is very difficult for patients to determine when they might need antibiotics. A trained healthcare provider can only determine this. With that said, when you are prescribed an antibiotic, it is important that you take them as prescribed.

Antibiotics kill both bad and good bacteria. In this video, Dr. Oz tells us when you should take antibiotics -- and when you should avoid them.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...