When should my child take antibiotics?

Your child should take antibiotics if your doctor prescribes them.  Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. It is very difficult for parents to determine when their child might need antibiotics. A trained healthcare provider can only determine this. With that said, when your child is prescribed an antibiotic, it is important that he or she take them as prescribed.
Bacterial and viral infections in children may have similar symptoms -- runny nose, cough, fever, sore throat and difficulty sleeping -- but they require different treatments.

“It is important to understand that antibiotics -- which can effectively treat bacterial infections -- are not useful in viral infections and can actually be harmful,” states James Cherry, M.D., a UCLA pediatric infectious disease specialist. It’s important to limit antibiotic use only to bacterial infections. Inappropriate or overuse of antibiotics can contribute to the development of bacteria that become resistant so that they are not easily treatable.

In some cases, bacterial infections in children may be the result of secondary infection, meaning that the virus initiated the process and a bacterial infection occurred because of the effects of the viral infection. Sinusitis, ear infections and some pneumonias are common examples of secondary bacterial infections.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...