When should I not take quinupristin-dalfopristin?

If you are allergic to quinupristin, dalfopristin, virginiamycin or pristinamycin, you should not take quinupristin-dalfopristin (brand name Synercid). Also, if you know that you are allergic to any ingredient used in the preparation itself, you should avoid this antibiotic. If you are taking cisapride, a medicine that was used to treat severe heartburn, but is not available in the United States, tell your doctor; he or she may want you to either stop taking the cisapride or may suggest a different antibiotic for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...