When should I not take quinupristin-dalfopristin?

If you are allergic to quinupristin, dalfopristin, virginiamycin or pristinamycin, you should not take quinupristin-dalfopristin (brand name Synercid). Also, if you know that you are allergic to any ingredient used in the preparation itself, you should avoid this antibiotic. If you are taking cisapride, a medicine that was used to treat severe heartburn, but is not available in the United States, tell your doctor; he or she may want you to either stop taking the cisapride or may suggest a different antibiotic for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Does my child need antibiotics for his runny nose?
With a runny nose, antibiotics are needed only if your healthcare provider tells you that your child...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...