When should I not take quinupristin-dalfopristin?

If you are allergic to quinupristin, dalfopristin, virginiamycin or pristinamycin, you should not take quinupristin-dalfopristin (brand name Synercid). Also, if you know that you are allergic to any ingredient used in the preparation itself, you should avoid this antibiotic. If you are taking cisapride, a medicine that was used to treat severe heartburn, but is not available in the United States, tell your doctor; he or she may want you to either stop taking the cisapride or may suggest a different antibiotic for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do antibiotics treat all bacterial infections?
There are many different types of antibiotics that are made to treat various bacterial infections. H...
What types of infections can antibiotics treat?
Here’s a general guide to when antibiotics are and aren’t warranted. Antibiotics can treat bacteria...
What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?
While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clot...
How do antibiotics work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Antibiotics kill single-cell organisms called bacteria. If bacteria make it past our immune systems ...