When can I stop taking Dificid?

As with all antibiotics, you should continue to take Dificid (fidaxomicin) for the full course of treatment, usually 10 days. This antibiotic specifically targets the Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) bacteria that can cause severe diarrhea. You may feel better within a few days of taking Dificid, but it's important that you take it for the full course of treatment. Otherwise, your diarrhea may return; it's also possible that you may develop Dificid-resistant bacteria, so that if you become infected with C. difficile again, Dificid may not be effective for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why must I take antibiotics before seeing the dentist if I have an implant?
James P. Gurtowski, MDJames P. Gurtowski, MD
Antibiotics are important to prevent infection of an orthopaedic implant after dental procedures, be...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...