When can I stop taking Dificid?

As with all antibiotics, you should continue to take Dificid (fidaxomicin) for the full course of treatment, usually 10 days. This antibiotic specifically targets the Clostridium difficile (C. difficile) bacteria that can cause severe diarrhea. You may feel better within a few days of taking Dificid, but it's important that you take it for the full course of treatment. Otherwise, your diarrhea may return; it's also possible that you may develop Dificid-resistant bacteria, so that if you become infected with C. difficile again, Dificid may not be effective for you.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...