What should I know about Zosyn before receiving it?

Be sure to give your doctor a detailed medical history, including allergies to medications, before receiving Zosyn. In particular, if you have had an allergic reaction to any type of penicillin in the past, including amoxicillin, ampicillin, carbenicillin, dicloxacillin, oxacillin and ticarcillin, or to cephalosporins, such as Ceclor, Ceftin, Duricef and Keflex, you should not use Zosyn. Likewise, any of the following medical conditions may prevent you from being able to receive Zosyn: bleeding disorders, including blood clotting disorders; kidney or liver disease; colitis or any other gastrointestinal disease; hay fever or asthma; and low potassium levels in your blood. Be sure to tell your doctor if you are on a low-sodium diet.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...
When can antibiotics hurt more than help?
Michael B. Dahl, MDMichael B. Dahl, MD
Antibiotics can ‘hurt” by allowing bacteria that have randomly mutated against that antibiotic’s mec...