What is sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim?

The combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is used as an antibiotic to treat conditions, such as middle ear infections (in children), urinary tract infections, severe bronchitis and complications arising from bacterial infections of the digestive tract, such as travelers' diarrhea. This antibiotic combination also has been helpful in the treatment of pneumonia for people with weakened immune systems. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is available in the form of a tablet, injection or an oral suspension. In the US, sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim antibiotics are available under the brand names Bactrim, Septra and Sulfatrim. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treats bacterial infections and not viral infections, such as the flu.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...