What is sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim?

The combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is used as an antibiotic to treat conditions, such as middle ear infections (in children), urinary tract infections, severe bronchitis and complications arising from bacterial infections of the digestive tract, such as travelers' diarrhea. This antibiotic combination also has been helpful in the treatment of pneumonia for people with weakened immune systems. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is available in the form of a tablet, injection or an oral suspension. In the US, sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim antibiotics are available under the brand names Bactrim, Septra and Sulfatrim. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim treats bacterial infections and not viral infections, such as the flu.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite TrainerCynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Microorganisms multiply rapidly, and as the "parent" microbes are exposed to the antibiotic in your ...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...