What are the side effects of vancomycin hydrochloride?

Common side effects of vancomycin hydrochloride may include nausea, dizziness, back pain, and muscle pain. Other, more serious side effects may include hearing loss, inability to urinate, fever, chills, flu-like symptoms, lightheadedness or fainting, rash or bruising, numbness, weakness, tingling, stomach pain, and bloody diarrhea. If you have any of these serious side effects after starting vancomycin hydrochloride, you should stop taking the drug and call your doctor. If you have signs of an allergic reaction, including trouble breathing, hives, or facial swelling, call 911.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How effective are antibiotics?
Louise E. Sivak, MDLouise E. Sivak, MD
This is a very broad question so you can provide me with some specifics. An antibiotic is effective ...
Do I need antibiotics for my cold if my mucous is thick, green or yellow?
Thick, green or yellow mucus does not necessarily mean you need antibiotics. Mucus is often thicker ...