What should I know about sulfadiazine before taking it?

Sulfadiazine is a medication that helps to treat bacterial infections such as urinary tract infections. You should not take sulfadiazine if you are pregnant or nursing a child who is under two months of age. You should also not take sulfadiazine if you are allergic to any of the active ingredients in this medication. If you have blood problems because of insufficient folic acid or if you are suffering from kidney disease and bladder blockage, you should not take sulfadiazine. This medication should not be used to treat sore throat, diarrhea or intestinal infection. Other medical conditions which increase your risk for complications while taking sulfadiazine include: liver problems, asthma, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency, porphyria, diabetes, severe allergies or other blood diseases or problems. Medications that may react adversely to sulfadiazine include: probenecid, diuretics, sulfonylureas and other diabetes medications, salicylates, blood thinners and indomethacin. This is not a complete list of the risks associated with the usage of sulfadiazine. Before taking this or any other medications, you should talk to your doctor about all medical conditions you have and all medications you are using.  

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...
How does antibiotic resistance affect healthcare costs?
Antibiotic resistance is an economic burden on the entire healthcare system. Resistant infections co...