What should I know about ampicillin and sulbactam before taking it?

Ampicillin-sulbactam (Unasyn) is only useful to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria. It should not be used to treat viral infections. If you have had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin or another penicillin antibiotic, to sulbactam or to another ingredient in this medication, you probably should not take this drug. People who have mononucleosis, who have heart or kidney disease, who are taking a tetracycline antibiotic or who have had or will get a typhoid vaccination, may not be able to receive this medication. In addition, this drug can cause side effects. Before you take it, you should be aware of the possible side effects and what to do if they occur.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Should I give my child antibiotics?
I've been advising parents for a long time not to automatically give their kids antibiotics for ...