What should I know about quinupristin-dalfopristin before receiving it?

Before you are treated with quinupristin-dalfopristin, you should know that:
  • The risk of dangerous side effects are increased when this medication is used in combination with cyclosporine, midazolam and nifedipine.
  • Other medications may also interact with quinupristin-dalfopristin. These include: immunosuppressants, sleeping aids and drugs commonly used to treat allergies, angina, anxiety, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, irregular heartbeat, HIV infection, seizures, cancer, infection and stomach problems. Talk to your doctor if you use any of these medications before beginning treatment with quinupristin-dalfopristin.
  • Liver disease may increase your risk for side effects by elevating the level of quinupristin-dalfopristin in the bloodstream.
  • Quinupristin-dalfopristin is not known to cause birth defects during pregnancy. Quinupristin/dalfopristin was found to be excreted in breast milk in animal studies. It is not known whether quinupristin/dalfopristin is excreted in human breast milk. Nonetheless, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, be sure to talk to your doctor about possible risks and benefits of using this medication.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
It is important to complete your antibiotic course as prescribed. This prevents the infection fr...
Can antibiotics treat a viral infection?
In general, antibiotics are useless against viral illnesses. Viruses cause many of the most comm...