What is quinupristin-dalfopristin?

Quinupristin-dalfopristin -- available under the brand name Synercid -- is a prescription antibiotic used to treat serious bacterial infections of the skin or blood. Quinupristin-dalfopristin is an injectable medication often used to treat bacterial infections that are resistant to other antibiotics. Quinupristin-dalfopristin works by preventing bacteria from producing proteins they need to survive.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Why are antibiotics prescribed to people with COPD?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antibiotics are frequently used during bronchitic exacerbations to fight bacterial infections due to...
What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...
Why should I continue taking antibiotics even if I feel better?
Cynthia Kubas , NASM Elite TrainerCynthia Kubas , NASM Elite Trainer
Microorganisms multiply rapidly, and as the "parent" microbes are exposed to the antibiotic in your ...