What are the possible side effects of Dificid?

The most common side effects from Dificid (fidaxomicin), an antibiotic prescribed for severe diarrhea caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile, are nausea, vomiting and stomach pain. Intestinal bleeding, anemia, neutropenia (low white blood cells) and rashes may also occur. 

Rare but potentially serious side effects include weakness, fatigue, dizziness, headache, shortness of breath, chest pain, a fast, pounding heartbeat, pale skin, cold hands and feet, stomach cramps, bright red blood in vomit, vomit that looks like coffee grounds, black tar-like stools, bright red stools or fever, sore throat, chills or other signs of infection. Signs of an allergic reaction include trouble breathing, itching, and swelling of the mouth, face or throat. If you experience any of these symptoms while taking Dificid, call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
Do I need antibiotics if I have green nasal mucus?
A "green" runny nose is not necessarily an indication of a bacterial infection, but it could be. You...
Should I let my doctor know I am using antibiotic ointment?
It is always important to let your doctor know what medications you are on. Some ointments can c...