What should I know about vancomycin hydrochloride before taking it?

Vancomycin hydrochloride should be used only for bacterial infections; it is not effective against viral or fungal infections. If you take it, you will need to have your hearing tested periodically, as vancomycin hydrochloride can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss. The following drugs may interact with vancomycin hydrochloride: amikacin, gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin, netilmicin, streptomycin, and tobramycin, so make sure to tell your doctor about any prescription or over-the-counter medications you are taking. People with kidney disease may need a special dosage of vancomycin hydrochloride. It is unclear whether vancomycin hydrochloride adversely affects developing fetuses or nursing infants.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
How can antibiotics cause hyperactivity in children?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
If your child becomes more hyperactive after taking antibiotics, an overgrowth of yeast in the intes...
What should I avoid while using an antibiotic ointment?
While you are using an antibiotic ointment, avoid things that will irritate your wound like clot...