What should I know about kanamycin before taking it?

Kanamycin is a powerful antibiotic. It prevents bacteria from producing certain proteins that they need to live. Kanamycin has the potential to interact with a large quantity of medications, so make sure to tell your doctor about all of the medications, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins and supplements you are using, before taking it. You should make sure to drink plenty of water while receiving kanamycin. Tell your doctor if you're suffering from myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, nerve damage or kidney failure, as you may not be able to take this drug safely.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...
What foods should I avoid if I take antibiotics?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
If you take quinolones (antibiotics) such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), ofloxac...