What should I know before giving my loved one ticarcillin-clavulanate?

If you are your loved one's caregiver, make sure you discuss with the doctor the mild versus more severe side effects and which ones require you call for help right away.

If the drug being used is in an IV bag, get trained on how to store and prepare the bag to be used.

If the drug being used is in a vial, get trained to reconstitute the drug in the vial and inject it into an IV bag.

Get trained to attach the IV bag to your loved one's IV line.

Make sure you know how to examine the drug before giving it. Do not use if it's discolored in any way; you want this liquid to be clear, with no material floating in it.

Find out how often the drug needs to be administered.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

What is an antibiotic ointment?
An antibiotic ointment is an oil-based preparation that fights bacteria on the skin. For example...
Does my child need antibiotics if his nose runs with yellow or green mucus?
When germs that cause colds first infect the nose and sinuses, the nose makes clear mucus. This help...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Which foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antibiotics?
In the following list, you'll find the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug re...