What should I know before giving my loved one ticarcillin-clavulanate?

If you are your loved one's caregiver, make sure you discuss with the doctor the mild versus more severe side effects and which ones require you call for help right away.

If the drug being used is in an IV bag, get trained on how to store and prepare the bag to be used.

If the drug being used is in a vial, get trained to reconstitute the drug in the vial and inject it into an IV bag.

Get trained to attach the IV bag to your loved one's IV line.

Make sure you know how to examine the drug before giving it. Do not use if it's discolored in any way; you want this liquid to be clear, with no material floating in it.

Find out how often the drug needs to be administered.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
6 Ailments That Call for an Antibiotic
When it comes to a lingering case of the sniffles, your first instinct may still be to run to the family doctor for an antibiotic to knock them out. ...
Can taking antibiotics cause my child to have loose stools?
Dr. Tanya R. Altmann, MDDr. Tanya R. Altmann, MD
This is not an allergic reaction to the medicine. Diarrhea and mild abdominal pain are two of the mo...
Should antibiotics be banned in animal feed?
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requested that livestock producers cut back on low-dose a...