What should I know about bacitracin before using it?

Bacitracin is available in ointment form as an over-the-counter (OTC) medication. Read the package directions carefully before using it. It can be applied to minor cuts and skin abrasions to help prevent bacterial infection. However, the ointment should not be applied to puncture wounds or deep cuts. If you have underlying health conditions or allergies to medications, check with your doctor before using bacitracin. If you have a reaction to this medication, stop taking it immediately and contact your doctor. It is also available by prescription in an ophthalmic ointment for eye infections, and a powder for solution in intramuscular (IM) injections for lung infections. Currently, the injection is seldom used because of its side effects; newer, less toxic drugs are used instead.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

Do I Need an Antibiotic?
Do I Need an Antibiotic?
If you’ve got a fever and you’re coughing, congested or battling a sore throat, chances are you’re also missing work, losing sleep—and running out of ...
FDA Issues Stronger Warning for Common Antibiotics
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is now requiring stronger warnings on the labels and medication guides for a class of commonly prescribed ...
When is it appropriate to give children antibiotics?
When your child is coughing, sneezing, and downright miserable, the temptation is there to request a...
What is an antibiotic?
An antibiotic is a chemical that assists your immune system in getting rid of bacteria. Antibiotics ...