What should I know about bacitracin before using it?

Bacitracin is available in ointment form as an over-the-counter (OTC) medication. Read the package directions carefully before using it. It can be applied to minor cuts and skin abrasions to help prevent bacterial infection. However, the ointment should not be applied to puncture wounds or deep cuts. If you have underlying health conditions or allergies to medications, check with your doctor before using bacitracin. If you have a reaction to this medication, stop taking it immediately and contact your doctor. It is also available by prescription in an ophthalmic ointment for eye infections, and a powder for solution in intramuscular (IM) injections for lung infections. Currently, the injection is seldom used because of its side effects; newer, less toxic drugs are used instead.

Continue Learning about Antibiotic

What happens if I don't finish my antibiotic prescription?
Not finishing an entire course of antibiotic treatment can have some bad outcomes.  Although you...
Which foods and drugs can interact dangerously with antibiotics?
In the following list, you'll find the most common and easily avoided sources of adverse drug re...
Who should not use an antibiotic ointment?
People with sensitive skin or who are unsure of what the rash is should avoid topical antibiotic...
How do antibiotics affect good bacteria?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
If you take antibiotics repeatedly, you diminish the population of good bacteria that protects y...